FlightGear UK V-Force Sim event

The place to discuss upcoming or past Airshows, Taxi Run Days, V-Force & Cold War Reunions etc..

FlightGear UK V-Force Sim event

Postby Algernon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:36 pm

A little unsure where to place this topic, but even though our event was a virtual one, I finally settled on this subforum.

FlightGear UK is a group of simulator enthusiast who built and fly aircraft in the free and open-source flight simulator, FlightGear. Every Saturday, pilots from all over the world gather under our mantle to fly in company for two hours: our sessions include formation flying, simulated military operations, display flight, medium distance transit... anything we can dream up really. One week that it was my turn to lead the flight, I thought it was about time I could really put one of my pet aircraft, the Victor, through its paces, and so I devised a low-level flight course, simulating attacks on UK towns between flights at less than 500 ft. There is sadly no Valiant in FlightGear, so the choice was between Vulcan and Victor - the numbers were fairly evenly split between the two.

Both Vulcan and Victor are older FlightGear aircraft which our group is slowly improving. Neither are yet extraordinarily pretty, but we're getting there. That did not dampen the fun in the slightest - I have linked to the thread on our forum where screenshots taken by members of our group are posted, and the YouTube video which I managed to shoot whilst at the same time leading the flight (so not my most artistic bit of camera work, but plenty of Victor internal views!). I hope you like them :)

Link to FGUK forum page (as I was having difficulty embedding screen shots and video into this post - sorry for that).

I've been meaning to get in touch with other V-Force enthusiasts with regards to my Victor project, and I'd love to discuss any aspect of modelling or simulation with anyone. So please do get in touch or ask any questions you may have.
Algernon

Twitter Username: @FGTyphoon

Re: FlightGear UK V-Force Sim event

Postby Dave Taylor » Sat May 24, 2014 6:46 pm

Hi

Thanks for the info, must check out some of the pics and videos.

The attachments are disabled on here, as we wanted to restrict the amount of server utilised by photos etc. Instead we recommend using a free photobucket account and using the link photo option, which then drags the image into the forum post without it needing to be hosted on the server, which I use to host various other websites in addition to twittervforce.com

Right, going to have a look at some sim pics and stuff!
Dave Taylor
#twitterVforce Admin & Webmeister!
Twitter: @XM655 @BruntyCWJ @DaveVforce & @VForceHQ
http://twitterVforce.com
Dave Taylor
#twitterVforce Admin

Twitter Username: @XM655 @DaveVforce

Re: FlightGear UK V-Force Sim event

Postby Algernon » Sun May 25, 2014 11:30 am

Ah yes, I know about issues like that from running the FGUK forum and website - we outstripped our hosts capabilities within a couple of years and had to upgrade.

I hope you like what you saw of our pics and video - the Victor has literally just this week come back from the FGUK paintshop in Florida and has a whole new set of liveries (or skins) for her airframe, including all the Operation Granby named 'girls'. I'm installing the HDU in the K2 today, and then there are a few scrappy jobs to clear up before we can release her as V2.0. The Vulcan still needs quite a lot of work, and the Valiant is still only on the drawing board for us (awaiting an adoptive developer to turn her from a static 3D model into a flying example which never has to worry about fatigue hours!).
Algernon

Twitter Username: @FGTyphoon

Return to Airshows, Taxi Run Days, Reunions etc.